Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Little Magic in the Mix

Well, it's February, and though we have had a very mild winter (little snow and above average temps), I am done feeling the need to hibernate, and am ready to be inspired and motivated to take on some new projects.

I have been writing regularly, having given myself the challenge of writing at least 30 minutes a day for the next 30 days. The idea is to have writing be something that I do every day, especially as I finish the first draft of my book and begin the revision and editing process. I really enjoy starting my day with time spent writing. It set a good tone, and I find it to be a good companion to my morning mediation practice.

As a supplement to the monthly writer's group I am a part of, I have begun scheduling write-in session once a month. The first one, held at a local coffee shop, brought three other writers out for some co-creative energy swapping. It was a positive experience for all of us, so I am doing it again this coming weekend. It is my hope that we can get to know each other better, continue to offer support and suggestions when needed, and create an even stronger community to inspire and keep us on track.

Harry Houdini

As for art, I am still working on a few commissions, and putting together ideas for some new multi media paintings, and dimensional pieces. My wife, daughter and I attended a new art gallery show in Madison yesterday called "Houdini: Art and Magic." It featured props and memorabilia from Houdini's career in addition to video footage and artwork inspired by Houdini and his illusions. My mind is swimming with ideas for artwork that uses magic, and vaudevillian style entertainment as a focus. I am excited to get started. Expect to see some pics of works in progress here very soon.

As always, thanks for following me here at Monkey Pants. Stay warm and take care of yourselves.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...magic and art. An interesting combination. I look forward to your work taking this new direction. And as always I also look forward to your final book. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete